One of the biggest obstacles to opening a new school is establishing an effective support network. The Innovative School Model Alliance is a cost-free membership that provides resources, advocacy and networking for schools that implement a new school design. Learn more, click here.
Do you have specific questions about replicating a new school model?
Are you interested in model schools? Email or call us! Dawn Downes, Director of Innovative School Models, 302-656-4737 or email@example.com.
Innovative Schools would like to thank the Welfare Foundation for their support of Innovative Schools’ New School Development program, which helps to launch new charter schools. The Welfare gift will provide a revolving fund to cover the costs for community groups interested in working with Innovative Schools to develop a high quality charter application and replicate one of school designs in our Portfolio of Model Schools.
During the Application Phase, Innovative Schools works in collaboration with the Founding Board to ensure that the charter school application is completed on time and outlines a quality academic program that is a true replication and which meets all state requirements. The Founding Board is an integral part of the application development, ensuring ownership of the model school design. Innovative Schools’ supports the Founding Board’s work with training and targeted technical assistance around each area of the application.
Starting a charter School is hard work and requires significant time and dedication. Innovative Schools recommends that Founding Boards commit approximately 14 months to the Application Phase, starting in February of the year in which they will apply and continuing through April of the following year, when final approval takes place.
- Training and workshops for Founding Board members and potential School Leaders
- Comprehensive feasibility study and community engagement sessions
- Preparation of the 501 (c) (3) application
- Application Phase Toolkit – includes detailed task sheets and timelines with important dates and benchmarks
- Consultation and technical assistance with all major components of charter school development including curriculum alignment, budget and operations planning, and facilities/site selection
- Application preparation including narrative and appendix document development, proofreading, editing, formatting, application printing, and electronic submission to the charter school authorizer
- Mock interviews to prepare for Charter School Accountability meetings
Attendance at all Charter School Accountability Committee meetings, public hearings, and State Board of Education meetings; feedback/follow-up on action items identified in these meetings.